Wow. I was supposed to write this post more than two months ago. In fact, I even drafted it. It was going to be about how we sent a couple of “prep notes” from the paci fairy, and how Boopsie helped pack up all the pacifiers into a plastic bag, and how she helped me set them in the yard. And how she cried some at that bedtime, but slept all night and went on to get over it really quickly.
But then something happened. On the day after I posted Pacifier Fairy Part One, all hell broke loose with our kid. What do I mean by all hell breaking loose? Well, let’s see:
- She went on a sleep strike… bedtime became a multi-hour battle, naps were treacherous
- She started having epic, violent tantrums including throwing things, hitting and kicking
- Her personality changed into one I didn’t really recognize. Boopsie became much more anxious, whiny and angry.
I’m not sure how to convey the impact this had on our family, in part because we are still trying to find our way out. Our attempts to find our way out have included:
- Scouring the interwebs
- Hiring a parent coach
- Positive reinforcement
- Negative reinforcement
- Putting a lock on the outside of her door
- Multiple trips to the pediatrician
- Reading books… lots of books (more on those to come)
We’re still trying to figure out if we’re somewhere on the continuum of “normal” or if there’s something else going on with Boopsie that we need to address. But that’s what’s been happening in the silence — stress, fear, anger, exhaustion and worry. So much worry. Thankfully, there’s been joy, too, and fun. And I think (and hope and pray) that we’re getting back somewhere more familiar.
All that to say… hello, strangers. More soon.