The last few weeks have been tough. Not seriously tough, like terminal illness or death or any really horrible things. Just day-in, day-out, demanding job and sick toddler and traveling husband and multiple expensive house repairs tough. We’re tying to juggle our jobs and Boopsie’s multiple (mostly not serious) illnesses and still trying to have a life… not easy. Oh, and I’ve been peed on twice in two days.
This afternoon I almost cried. At work. About things like PowerPoint slides and an over-abundance of meetings. And because Daddy-o and I had to split the day to stay home with a sickly Boopsie. And because I didn’t know which dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free sweet potato recipe to make for Thursday. I think it’s safe to say my priorities have been knocked out of whack.
It’s Thanksgiving week. What better time to try and get my head put on straight again? So here we go…. the many things I’m thankful for (in no particular order…):
- It’s almost time to listen to Christmas music (day after Thanksgiving through Christmas Day)
- A healthy family
- A healthy me
- A job that enables me to afford (mostly) to pay for the raft of unexpected home repairs
- Recovery (I think) from a sh&tty knee injury without surgery
- A little girl who love, love, loves Christmas lights
- My Amazon Kindle. (Geeky, I know.)
- Having a two-car garage (Holy moly! No scraping the windshield!)
- My favorite afghan
- Friends… old ones, new ones and all the ones in between
- Health insurance
- Along that line, living in a city with rapid emergency response and not just one, but three children’s hospitals to choose from (more on that another day)
- Having my parents around. Grammie and Grampie are not only fun to be around but they also save our butts on a regular basis.
- The marriage amendment was defeated in Minnesota… woot woot!
- The Amazing Race — Daddy-o and I watch it (via iTunes) every week. It’s the one TV show we both enjoy and we have fun watching together. Totally worth the $20 iTunes season pass. Plus, I wager on it at work. Go Dave and Abba!
- Listening to Boopsie sing. The current repertoire: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, ABCs, Rock-a-Bye Baby, Old MacDonald, De Do Do Do, Skip To My Lou… I can’t wait to introduce her to Christmas Music.
- Red wine
- Our cats… even though they puke on the carpet and meow when we’re trying to sleep
- Movember – all those moustaches crack me up
- The Internet. Seriously, how did we function before we had all that information at our fingertips?
- Clean water, accessible and affordable food
- Working with people I like to be around
- Travel, especially to visit loved ones
- Daddy-o. With Boopsie. With me. Funny and kind and a great partner.
- Hot tea on cold days
- Sleeping through the night (usually… how cool is that?)
- Fitting into (finally) my most unforgiving pair of skinny jeans. Shallow? Yes. But still reassuring.
There. Not an exhaustive list, but just some of the many reasons I’m feeling thankful these days. Here’s to not crying about PowerPoint slides and conflicting demands.
What are you thankful for?